I begin listening to Christmas music well before Thanksgiving, but I don't put up a Christmas tree until after Thanksgiving. Am I a hypocrite? I think this is pretty normal, but others argue I have a double standard. When do most people put up there tree? Day after Thanksgiving? First day of December? A week before Christmas? I guess it would vary depending on the type of tree or whether or not you celebrate Christmas.
I can't remember when or why I began having the desire to listen to Christmas music so early. I feel like I have done it all my life. I just love the holiday songs. There is something warm and comforting about them. Could it be that the stores begin playing holiday music after Halloween to sell the holiday products and I subliminally think it must be time for Christmas music? Whatever the reason, I still feel strongly about my Christmas music tradition.
I have also recently been told that by listening to Christmas music so early, I am not honoring Thanksgiving. Well until they (musicians) come up with more Thanksgiving songs, I will have to continue on with my holiday songs. Really now, the only Thanksgiving song I can think of is the Turkey song by Adam Sandler.
I guess it all comes down to doing what feels right to you. For me, I will continue to deck the halls, jingle the bells, and dream about a white Christmas well before December!
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
It's not a double standard. If you put up your tree now it will be totally dead and all the needles will fall off WAY before Christmas. If you start listening to music now, nothing happens to it. Personally I have not started listening to it, but Jeff has started buying it and we'll probably start listening in a week or two. I guess that's Thanksgiving. But it's not really about not wanting to listen to it too early. It's more that I'm still in mourning over the end of summer and if I start playing Christmas music I'll have to admit that winter really is coming. I'm just not ready for it this year!
I just can't bring myself to listen to it until after Thanksgiving. I do feel like poor Thanksgiving gets gyped! (did I spell that right?) Anyway, I have bought a new Christmas CD and am looking forward to listening next week, but for now I just have to settle for my BYU CD of A Thanksgiving of American Folk Hymns. It is actually quite good!
You can listen to Christmas music year round in my opinion - not that it matters, but Christmas music just brings a sense of magic to your house. That's my philosophy anyway.
Post a Comment