"A" was a challenge. One idea was to take the boys to an airplane show, but that didn't work out this year. Maybe next year! So, I am going to use the day I made applesauce. It was suppose to be an activity done by the boys and I, but the reality of it was that I did it all by myself. We got our apples from Crooked Run Orchard (a family run orchard in Purcellville). We (I) made applesauce using tydeman apples. It was a bit tart, but very yummy (especially warm) and we all enjoyed it. I love making applesauce. It is very nostalgic for me. I remember my mom making applesauce and loved the way our house smelled as the apples cooked up. As kids, we would all take turns straining the apples through the food mill. Now Jack and Henry enjoy taking turns doing it (not on this particular occasion, but in the past) and through the same food mill I used as a kid (thanks mom!). I know that we will be making lots of applesauce this year and hope to can some that will last us through the winter. I will be sure to have my little helpers around for the next applesauce day!
(The pics above where from a later trip to the orchard with a friend and her kids. We had a great time picking apples and we did make enough applesauce to fill a ton of jars. Not officially an ABC of Summer since it took place in early fall, but who really cares!)



No comments:
Post a Comment