Thursday, August 04, 2011

Go West!

Road trip! Kris and I were so excited to take a little over a week away from kids, work, and responsibilities. We were so looking forward to relaxing drive with each other and a "no pressure, no structure" type vacation. To be honest, the first little bit was hard for me. I kept thinking I needed to get snack bags ready or sippy cups filled. Turning off the "mom switch" was a little difficult, but I was able to do it and finally feel like a real person again. It was so nice to spend time alone with Kris like the old days!

Our first stop was the Provo/SLC, Utah area to visit with friends. We have quite a few college roomies still in the area and some other friends we met overseas that live there now. It was so fun to see Kris's old buddies from his college days -- Aaron, Damon, and Enoch -- and chow down on some tasty Korean cuisine. We got to meet Aaron's wife Carolina and baby girl Sofia, both very beautiful, which as a treat too!

,

We also did a quick drive by our old former homes. Kris's Corner Cottage still stands, but with a very new look! The Treehouse has not changed a bit. The only thing missing is Phoebe's Malibu in the driveway! Lookout Point was our first home together and it was nice to drive way up on the mountain to reminisce about our tiny little place. We kept wondering how we actually made it up and down those hills in the our car during the winter!



After a night in Provo, we headed out for the drive to Vegas through the dry, hot desert! Even though it was a bit of a drive, it didn't seem so bad. Driving with no kids is so delightful! Kris and I got to listen to our music for a change and I finally gave Radiolab a chance. Very stimulating radio that kept us awake! Oh, did I mention we saw the world's largest thermometer!



Once in Vegas, we unpacked at the MGM Grand and enjoyed dinner and a show. We got some great tickets to see Ka (a Cirque du Soleil production). It was amazing!! I have always wanted to see a Cirque production, and this one far exceeded my expectations. Well worth the money! After the show we dined at Diego. So yummy! They made the fresh guac table side and their fish tacos are by far the best I've had!




The next morning we headed west to Costa Mesa, Cali, where we were excited to see the Chappell family, our dear friends from Korea. Ah, the good old days! They have two beautiful daughters, Olivia and Sophie. We had a blast! We enjoyed their backyard pool, their local beaches, and their beautiful weather! We even got to see some locals fishing off the pier and caught a sting ray. Quite a sight!



We were introduced to the yummiest breakfast ever (jalapeno bagel, cream cheese, fresh tomato and avocado slices, and a sprinkling of lemon pepper! To die for!). Insun and I went to her gym to one of her classes, where I soon learned I was very out of shape, but really enjoyed the workout. Kris got to enjoy a night out with Nate at a Dodgers game. We also visited Balboa Island in Newport Beach, which was so fun and had great night time entertainment and we also checked out homes that we would someday purchase (yeah, right!).








I took a mini trip to Rancho Cucamonga to visit my college roomie, Rachel. It was nice to see how much her family has grown and to hang out with her for a bit! I always wish I had more time to visit with my college roomies!

Insun and Nate also treated us to Souplantation and Yogurtland, two dining experiences that must head east so we can enjoy the love too! Oh, and did I mention the yummiest Korean food at a nearby restaurant and Insun's delicious peanut chicken! Can I just say I ate way too much, but enjoyed every bite! Kris and I also took an afternoon trip to Laguna Beach. It was fun to walk around and see all the local art and enjoy more sun and beautiful weather!



It was so nice to lay on the beach with friends and enjoy the sun, sand, and surf! We had fun picking up sea shells with Olivia and Sophie too and almost missed having Jack and Henry with us! (Okay, we'll have to take them on the next trip because they would have had a blast too!).

Toward the end of our time in Cali, Kris and I took a quick day trip up to Solvang to meet with his good friend, Chris and his girlfriend Adelina. We met them at a vintage motorcycle museum, which was actually pretty cool. Kris and Chris enjoyed chatting about bikes, and Adelina and I talked about our kids. Since Solvang is an old Danish town, we decided to try a traditional lunch (The Mustard Seed)...not a great idea! We all decided next time we meet there we will have pizza or something or just stick to the sweet danish treats we picked up at the local bakery!





After our amazing trip to Cali, we headed back to Idaho to pick up the boys, but not without making a few stops before. Our first stop was in St. George, Utah. We enjoyed dinner and a movie and then stopped by the St. George Temple. It is so pretty at night all lit up.



Back through Utah, we met up with my college roomie Missy and her sister and kids. It is always so great to catch up with her. It makes me miss old times back at the Treehouse with all my Treehouse roomies! We also met up with the Bergeson family, also part of the old gang from Korea. They have three beautiful kids and live up in the mountains in Bountiful. It was fun to reminisce with them about our days in Korea before kids!

Finally, we got back on the road toward Rexburg, but not without a quick stop at the Army Surplus store in Idaho Falls. Just a great place to stop and find some cool stuff! I have to say that I was eager to see the boys and started to cry when they ran toward us when we arrived. It was so nice to finally be missed by them and to have missed them. It made us really appreciate what good boys we have and what a great Mom I have to take care of them during out trip!



All in all, a great trip with lots of memories!

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Looks like you had a wonderful trip sans kiddos!

Unknown said...

Awww it looked like so much fun!! :) I miss you guys so much! (((HUGS)))