Materials gathered for the day ahead:
diapers, training pants, pull-ups, shorts (way easier to pull on and off), wipes, oh...and lots of towels (too many to show)
Yesterday Jack decided he didn't want to put his diaper back on. I told him it was either diapers or underwear. To my surprise he chose underwear. I was not ready for this reply. So we headed to Target to get our supplies (training underwear 6 pairs, pull ups, and big boy underwear). Jack chose Thomas the Train big boy underwear. It was explained to him that he gets to wear those when he keeps his training underwear and diapers dry. We talked up the big event that would start today. We got the charts, stickers, and little rewards ready to go. So here we are, about 2 1/2 hours into our day and three pairs of pants down. The timer has been going off every 15 minutes and I have been doing lots of reminding every 5 minutes. The poor kid must be completely overwhelmed. He has been showing signs of being ready for a few months (off and on) so I know he gets the concept. I also have found that if I follow his lead on things like this, they usually work out. We shall see. Today is our first practice day and we may be in for a long weekend. I guess there is no shame in trying for a few days and see if this is the right time and then, if we need to, put it all away for a few months and stick with the diapers.
Well, we have completed our first day!!! I can't believe how physically exhausted I am. I can't imagine how tired Jack is. He had me in his ear all day...."do you need to use the potty? how about now? now? Would you like to try now?" Poor kid. He was amazing today. He got on and off the potty brilliantly and was pretty enthusiastic until the end. He lost it around 6:30. He was out of steam and running on fumes. Jack went from using training underwear, then pull ups, back to training underwear, and finally bare bottom method. I must say the latter seemed to work the best...and no accidents. I am proud of our little guy. He and I were good team players and we made it through the day. I wonder what tomorrow will bring.
4 comments:
I have found that the bare bottom method works the best, too.
I have also found that if they don't "get it" within 2 days, to start over later.
Good luck!
I think that mom needs to hear "GOOD JOB". It is not an easy task to potty train a child. You are so awesome Jessica! I wish you were my mom!!!
Jessica,
You are the most fab mom ever. WOW. Potty training is never great, but it is fantastic when it is out of the way!
Yes, this all sounds so familiar. The bare bottom method worked best for someone near and dear when he was about the same age as Jack. We knew that when he wanted his diaper back on(no such thing as pull-ups back in those dinosaur days of yore), it was time for the old 'number 2'routine, which by the way, usually was done 'secretly' behind the big TV (with a diaper on - thankfully). Way to go, Jessie AND Jack!!
Post a Comment