Friday, March 01, 2013

The lesson of the Cadbury Egg


Henry (hopefully) learned a valuable lesson today.  We had been running errands all over Leesburg and made one final stop at Rite Aid in town to pick up some pictures.  Henry had been very patient and a good helper.  While I spoke to the picture guy, Henry sat on a spinning chair near that area.  I finished my business and we left.  When we got home, Henry went to his room for rest time.  I got somethings done around the house and then he came down after his time was up.
We then did a big search around the house for something we had lost, and while searching, I found a 1/2 eaten Cadbury egg under Henry's bed.  I asked where he got it and he said, "I don't know".  Finally, after some prodding, he said, "from the store with the spinning chair."  I explained what he had done was called stealing and was wrong.  He started to get upset and I further explained that he needed to make it right and go tell the man he stole the candy.  He was now very upset and kept saying he was too scared to do it and that the man would be "mean at him" (which means mad at him).
He continued his crying all the way to the store, while I tried to calm him down and explain what he had done and what had to happen to make it right.  Once we got to the store, thankfully the same guy was there.  I explained to him what had happened while Henry cowered behind me.  He had his arm over his face and was crying.  It made me so sad to see my little guy feeling so bad about his actions.  I was almost in tears myself.  The man said he forgave him and Henry then payed for his egg.  Just before leaving, Henry finally was able to say he was sorry and we headed home.
I think most of us have had a similar story about a time when we were little and stole something from a store. I remember I took a caramel from a bin at a grocery store. I think I was a little older and felt bad about it.  I remember having to go back, but don't remember if it was because I got caught or because I knew I needed to make it right.
 This whole experience made me realize my little guy is growing up and learning real life lessons.  Hopefully this lesson sticks!

3 comments:

Laura said...

awww such a good boy

Crystal said...

You're a great mom, Jessie! :)

kira said...

You are a great mom! I miss you!

xxox