This year I have had some amazing help from a friend, Linna, the locavore! She has great ideas, techniques, tools, and garden wisdom that she has been sharing with me. As a result, I have a very pretty (and hopefully) successful garden so far this year.
She introduced me to the idea of lasagna gardening. It's like composting while you garden. You're layer material like straw, soil, compost, leaf mulch, and peat moss to make an incredible base for your little plants to enjoy.
Kris helped me (really he made them all) make garden boxes out of 2 x 10 pine boards and some screws. They may not last 100 years, but long enough to keep my garden looking tidy and neat. I am also planning on doing some vertical gardening using bamboo teepees. I am hoping to get my cucumbers, melons, pole beans, and tomatoes to grow up the poles and leave room for more plants underneath.
I have started my seedlings indoors a few days ago and already have beans, lettuce, and brussels sprouts growing. I can't wait to put my peas, more lettuce, spinach, kale, swiss chard, potatoes, onions, and other goodies into the ground next week. Can't wait until this stuff grows so we can eat it! Yum!
Friday, April 08, 2011
The garden is ready!
Posted by
Jessica
at
5:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
you're an inspiration
I echo Marge. That is awesome.
So awesome! I am starting my garden as well. I just tore out 7X7ft patch of sod to build my garden. I've been reading "Gardening When It Counts" and I too am implementing a base. I'll be using steer manure, chicken manure and lime. I've got seedlings in pods indoors getting ready to be planted as soon as we start getting some warmer weather. I'm going to try growing broccoli, tomatoes, leeks, and carrots. I'm also going to grow mint (separately as it tries to take over everything) and rosemary (which is fairly difficult). Best of luck with your garden! I can't wait to see photos of your beautiful veggies!!
Post a Comment